I am from Pensacola, Florida and moved to Mooresville, NC in 2015. Having lived near the Gulf Coast, the ocean became one of my favorite places to be. The calm and soothing nature of the ocean stays with me and, hence, my inspiration for Waves of Calm Counseling & Wellness, PLLC.
Having experienced a number of difficult life events (and having benefited from counseling), and while looking for a career change, I decided to go back to school to be a counselor. I graduated from Troy University in 2009 with a Master’s degree in Counseling Psychology and a specialization in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. I have been in practice since 2009 and have worked in a variety of settings including schools, community mental health, crisis units and group practice settings. My experience includes work with both adolescents and adults.
My credentials, certifications and training include:
- Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor (LCMHC) in state of North Carolina (12028);
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in state of Georgia (00846);
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC) in state of Florida (MH 11775);
- National Certified Counselor (NCC) through the National Board of Certified Counselors;
- Certified Anxiety Specialist through the National Association of Cognitive Behavioral Therapists; and
- Certified EMDR Therapist through the EMDR International Association (EMDRIA).
I believe firmly in the mind-body connection and using an integrative approach to counseling. I usually work closely with primary care doctors, psychiatrists or other health professionals, if necessary, to treat all aspects of your health. As a certified group fitness and yoga instructor, I emphasize good self-care and wellness. I also have a special interest in neuroscience and its integration into the counseling profession. I find that when individuals understand the why and how of a particular concept or technique, or the research that tells us how our brains work, I find they are much more likely to make changes in their life and put skills into practice.
Outside the office, I enjoy reading, creative arts, exercising (running/walking, biking, strength training, yoga and barre fitness), spending time outside in nature and, of course, time with family and friends, including my husband, daughters, and our three little poodles: Snickers, Bella and Rosy Posy.